Frozen Ambitions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragonborn, for your blessing we pray.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Why didn't they put it in?!?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Thane of Eastmarch

Thane of Eastmarch

Why didn't they put it in?!? Empty
PostSubject: Why didn't they put it in?!?   Why didn't they put it in?!? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Hey all! So, this is just a topic to discuss things you wish they had put in the game. Whether something new all together or from a past game in the series, it is all your opinion. Personally, I miss several things from Oblivion and a few from Morrowind.

From Oblivion:
* (The ability to make new spells.) I thought this was a very cool aspect, and I miss it terribly. In Skyrim, I love how flames/sparks/frostbite look, but they are so weak that you can't use them for very long and then everything switches to the "bolt" form. So to be able to create a more powerful version of those spells would be a welcome patch. (x-box here, no mods)

* (Spells themselves) Namely All the bound armor spells, Feather, Open, Command Creature/Humanoid, and Damage Health. I had this wicked awesome bound armor spell in IV. I had traveled around and collected every variation and created a master spell and called it, "The Garb of War". It summoned a full set for 30 seconds, and was awesome.

From Morrowind:
* (Levitation and Teleportation) These were really cool things to have. They had scrolls and certain spells that would take you to certain places, such a a shrine to a divine or the nearest town. And the levitation worked like a horse in Skyrim ( XD ) except you could craft a new one with a faster speed and turn it into flight!

(((I have more, but I'm going to get off my soapbox now and let the rest of you have a turn. Feel free to mention your own, or comment further on mine.)))
Back to top Go down
Mesataki
Admin
Mesataki

PostSubject: Re: Why didn't they put it in?!?   Why didn't they put it in?!? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Levitation and Teleportation is obvious for the new games.

Cities are split up into cells, so if you tried levitating over the walls, you'd see nothing but LOD meshes placed there to look pretty from the mountains. Or at least that's how it was in Oblivion. I assume it's the same for Skyrim because you have to go through a load screen before you enter any city.

For teleporation, the scripting is a lot more complex this time around. If the player had the ability to mark and recall any time they choose, they could potentially break a quest or go back into a supposedly cleared area.

Modders can add this stuff back in pretty easily, but they have to warn players not to do anything 'illegal' that might break the game.

As for the ability to make new spells, I think they were trying to make you buy new levels to get a feel for progression. The spell making system in Oblivion was pretty derpy as you could just make the one-spell fits all sort of deal at a ludicrous sum of money (or any spell really, so it made buying spells from merchants useless and pointless). Plus - there's no way to delete spells from your spell book, so you'd be left completely cluttered with all sorts of spells no longer meaningful or were just experiments. In Skyrim, I like the current spells, and I have a mod to level the damage as I grow stronger - so that's all my complaints for the system. I hate clutter, you see. XD

I never used any of the Bound Armor spells, so I don't miss them. The other spells, I sort of do, but I dislike playing mage because of the tedious recharge-and-attack thing going on. Open was kinda cheap anyway - and if you were a thief, the only reason you wouldn't choose Open was because of the noise it'd make as opposed to lockpicking. Also, Open made jail breaks less meaningful 'cause all you had to do was cast it on the door and walk away like nobody's business.

I think in general, I suppose some of the spells were removed to give the other skills more purpose and to force a little more tactical thinking. Feather would just mean you pick up all the crap you possibly could and haul it to town no prob. Without it - all you have are carry potions, so you have to pick the best weight:value ratio and the time it'd take to get out of the dungeon and fast travel. Or Damage Health - it's so generic, you probably don't have to worry a lot about resistances and would spam it over the elemental spells. At least the elemental spells affected one of the three stats, making their usage about what you want to take more out of a enemy. Like I try to use lightning spells against mages and ice to slow down people or creatures that can kill me if I need some room to breathe.

As for stuff I actually miss it would be:

-Repairing equipment: for one, we have smithing now, so we should obviously have repair to go along with it to naturally level. Otherwise, I spam Iron Daggers until I'm maxed. Plus, it adds a flaw to weapons and armor and forces you to make new ones or take it to the smith to get things fixed if you can't fixed enchanted equipment. After all, the smiths should be doing more than just selling you stuff.

-Freedom of enchanting: I just like having derpy enchants on items that don't make sense, alright? I want clothes that will set me on fire so I can just heal myself and level Restoration and Destruction at the same time for the lulz. . 3 .

-The guards from Oblivion. I miss being called a criminal scum. : /
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1823746/
ThePaleHorse

ThePaleHorse

PostSubject: Re: Why didn't they put it in?!?   Why didn't they put it in?!? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 3:59 pm

They actually came out with a mod that makes cities the same area as the outdoors. So you can just open the city gates and walk right in to the city without a loading screen. It probably wreaks havoc on the FPS, but it would be nice to not have to sit through so many loading screens.
Back to top Go down
Mesataki
Admin
Mesataki

PostSubject: Re: Why didn't they put it in?!?   Why didn't they put it in?!? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 4:43 pm

I've heard about Open Cities, but I didn't grab it for that reason. I already experienced oodles of lag in the Oblivion version (and some possible broken quests as a result), so mebbe later.

You could also theoretically leave that one place in the MQ with levitation (the point of no return as in - oh ship, I forgot to empty mah pockets - area). Quest-breakage is something to be worrying about with the power to walk on air.

Oh, now that I remember it, I also yearn for the days where pants and cuirass were separate. Pauldrons from Morrowind were pretty cool, too, along with wearing clothes underneath armor. Sadly, the call for performance means optimizing all that stuff into one easy package. ;_;
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1823746/
Twisting Beliefs

Twisting Beliefs

PostSubject: Re: Why didn't they put it in?!?   Why didn't they put it in?!? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 6:43 pm

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM! You violated the law! Pay your fine or seeerve your sentance; your stolen goods are now forfeit. Mad

Who DOESN'T miss the Oblivion guards. The only source of good ol' hammy acting in Skyrim is the Dremora. (A CHALLENGER! Twisted Evil ) Other than that, nothing. Well, maybe a save option a la Mass Effect- it would be cool to see Sheogorath looking like your character (although still with Wes Johnson behind the voice), and have various conversations that reflect what transpired in your game of Oblivion- but nothing too big. EDIT: An acknoledgement of what you did, in essence. END EDIT.
Back to top Go down
Warpet

Warpet

PostSubject: Re: Why didn't they put it in?!?   Why didn't they put it in?!? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm still waiting for them to allow mating and having children. they did it in fable 3 they can do it in elder scrolls!

Seriously I want them to do that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why didn't they put it in?!?   Why didn't they put it in?!? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why didn't they put it in?!?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frozen Ambitions :: Out of Character :: General Discussion-
Jump to: